Coronavirus Impact - Information on Business Rates Support

During these unprecedented times, Carigiet Cowen is committed to keeping clients advised as new information emerges on the detail surrounding Business Rates support that has been announced by Central Government.

Extended Retail Rate Relief is to be applied to all retail, hospitality and leisure properties in England for the 2020/21 rate year, regardless of whether the ratepayer qualifies for Small Business Rates Relief, and with there being no Rateable Value threshold limit.

It is understood that Local Authority Revenues Teams will automatically apply extended retail relief to any retail, hospitality or leisure property meeting the relevant criteria.

Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used:

1.As shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues.

These include: florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off-licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets, charity shops, opticians, post offices, furnishing shops, car showrooms & car sales lots, car hire, tool hire, markets, petrol filling stations, garden centres, art galleries, hair & beauty services, shoe repairs and key cutting, travel agents, ticket offices, dry cleaners, laundrettes, PC and TV domestic appliance repair, funeral directors, photo processing, restaurants, takeaways, sandwich shops, coffee shops, pubs and bars.

The Government does not consider the following types of uses to be eligible:

Financial services (banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, pay day lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers).

Other services (estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies)
Medical services (vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
Professional services (solicitors, accountants, insurance agents, and financial advisors) Post office sorting offices. Casinos and gambling clubs.

2.For assembly and leisure
These include public halls, clubhouses, clubs and institutions, sports grounds, museums, nightclubs, sport & leisure facilities, stately homes and historic houses, theatres, tourist attractions, and gyms.

3.For hotels, guest and boarding premises, and self-catering accommodation these include: hotels, guest and boarding houses, holiday homes, caravan parks and sites.